This site is meant as a meeting place for like-minded people in and around Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany to debate, question, laugh, walk, drink coffee, improve, help and inspire each other. Anyone is welcome!
Goals and core values
- Strive for a group culture where everyone feels welcome, comfortable and safe
- Have fun and enjoy each other’s company
- Facilitate respectful discussions even on controversial topics
- Improve our understanding of the world (epistemic rationality)
- Learn and try out techniques and tools to improve our lives and reach our personal goals (instrumental rationality)
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
What is Rationality?
The desire to see the world as it really is, not as you want it to be. This means having an open mind, learning about human cognitive biases and how to work around them as well as applying the scientific method (hypothesis + experiment).
Is Rationality the rejection of emotions or are human emotions bad?
No. Emotions and gut feelings are an integral part of the human experience and in fact, vital for our survival. Seeing the world as it really is also implies seeing humans as they really are. Emotions and intuitions work very well in most situations, only in some cases they can mislead us. Recognizing those cases and then improving the result of your decisions is useful.
Is this group affiliated with a political party or entity?
Is this group a cult/sect?
No. But remember that every cause wants to be a cult, so we encourage you to always stay skeptical.
We have a Signal messenger group that you can join after coming to one of our meetups.
- Site built with Hugo
- Template Zen
- Brain logo from flaticon.com (free with attribution)
- German translations done with DeepL.com and adjusted manually
- Analytics by https://www.goatcounter.com/ . This is privacy-aware tracking without cookies or persisting any personal data. Read more. In the interest of transparency you can view all the data collected yourself.
Found a mistake? Send a pull request!